Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Gooey Chocolate Cake

Can I just say YUM! Well I was excited because this was right up my alley. Chocolate cake....and even better Gooey Chocolate Cake. I read a few of the comments on this and realize that some were having issues with actually having a gooey center, so I was prepared to venture forth. First I got all my ingredients and realize I had a few problems. First, I only had 4 oz of chocolate and it was semi-sweet instead of bitter. Also I had not thought to look at the recipe and did not know to pull out the eggs...in fact I am lucky that I have a pretty stocked pantry and that no out of the ordinary ingredients were called for.

So I got my butter (margarine actually) from the freezer (yikes, told ya I should have looked at the recipe earlier) and nuked it for a few seconds. Got the four ounces of the chocolate chopped up and into the bowl with the softened butter.


And by the way, I was worried about how the chocolate was going to do because not only was it semi instead of bitter, but it had the pale look to it. It had obviously not been stored at optimal tempuratures. I felt a little better after I started to chop it because underneath was that dark, delicious chocolate I had come to know and love. The egg part and the dry good part was quite easy, but it did seem that it was far outweighted by the wet After reading that note about being careful that the butter could separate I was nervous but it melted beautifuly. I even pulled it off the burner a little early and had a few small chunks left to go into the batter. The batter mixed up without a single issue. (whew!)

I used the foil star muffin tins and ended up with 8 cupcakes. I sprinkle chopped pecans on a few and I even stuffed half a caramel cadburry egg into two of them. They were not gooey as the recipe stated. This could because I was using chocolate chips since I didn't have another ounce of chocolate. These did turn out very delicious though and I am determined to play around with this recipe until I can figure out the secret to getting that "gooey" center.

18 comments:

Annemarie said...

The stars are so cute! Love the addition of the cadbury egg...yum!!!

noskos said...

They star shape is sooo cute!!!

Mevrouw Cupcake said...

Love the star shape and how you "played around" with your recipe! Nice work!

April said...

The star is very cute! I am also loving the caramel touch!!

LyB said...

I'm sure this is a great recipe to play around with, it has infinite possibilities! Star muffin tins are a great idea, really cute!

Madam Chow said...

Your experiences are further proof that this recipe is pretty forgiving! Mine wasn't too gooey, either, so I think I'll cut down the baking time next time.
Madam Chow
http://www.mzkitchen.com

Erin said...

I love the caramel and I bet it was great with the cadbury egg! I am still working on the gooey center too.

Marie said...

Ohh, I love the stars and what an ingenious way to use up leftover cadbury eggs!!! Fantastic!

cruisingkitty said...

WOW! Wish I thought of that!
Your star pans are sooooo cute! I need to get me some of those :-)

Donna

Mary said...

fun stars! glad you had fun and figured out everything with your ingredients...it obviously turned out very well!!

Lauren said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! That seriously looks so delish!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Good job making do with what you had on hand! Love the star idea, of course I have some of those here but it certainly did not occur to me to use them!

Cecilia said...

Mine didn't turn out gooey either, but I agree that it didn't matter because the cakes were good anyway.

The star shape is DEFINITELY cute!

A cadbury egg? How did that one turn out?

theflouredapron said...

The star shape is really cute. Perhaps that might have contributed to the non-gooey center though, since it would give them more surface area and probably cause them to cook faster. Great idea with your additions, they sound very tasty.

Dolores said...

Oh wow... the star shape is neat, and the Cadbury egg... Brilliant!

Bethany said...

Very nice :) I just love food :)

Sharon -

Just wanted to let you know which Virtual School we use, since you asked about it on my blog, and I didn't know how else to get ahold of you, I thought I'd post it here. :)

We use Ohio Virtual Academy, which is a K12 school. I know that here in Ohio, it's free for residents. They have the program in other states too. It's a wonderful program. They send all the text books, extra books and supplies (we got paint, and little reading books, and a rock collection, and soil samples, and all storts of stuff ), a computer with printer, they pay for the internet. It's wonderful.

Since it's technically a public school, the government pays for it all. Lets put our tax dollars to some good use at home ,eh?

Let me know if you need more info. Thanks so much :)

Bethany

Merrianne Call said...

that looks YUMMY!

I hope you don't mind me checking out your blog :)

i love cooking/baking and trying new recipes. when i saw Gooey Chocolate Cake...i had to check it out! Yummm!

Jaime said...

i love the star shape you used! i wish i was able to taste the one w/the cadbury caramel egg - great idea :)

i used semi-sweet chocolate chips b/c i don't like bittersweet chocolate and was too lazy to chop up chocolate so i don't think that affects the gooeyness. i think it may be the baking time.