Thursday, May 22, 2008

TWD: Pie Re-Mix

Well I didn't have a madeline pan and although I got "permission" from the hubs to buy one. I decided to forgo and make something that had already been made. At first I was going to make the Black and White cake - it looked very elegant and I needed something for a going-away party for someone here at work. Then wouldn't you know Life happened and I just didn't have the time to make something "new" that I had never made before. So I figured that I would remake the Florida Pie, this time using Key Lime Juices (alot of the other bakers say that it is the only way to go...so I wanted to see the difference) I had already bought the key lime juice because I knew that I would one day soon want to make the pie again. I just didn't realize it would be the very next week. When I started to gather the ingredients I couldn't find the bottle of key lime juice. Now my husband, bless his heart, is a very helpful guy around the house; but where-as I put things away where they make sense (to my mind) he tends just to pick up and put things away wherever there is space. I have had to call him at work to find something -- the good thing is he usually knows just where he put it. But this time around we tore apart the kitchen and pantry and could not find the juice. So I ended up running out to the store and grabbing some regular limes as I could not find the Key Lime. While I was at the store, I figured I would also remake the Peanut Butter Torte.
This time around the only different thing I did with the Floriday Pie was put it into an extra large pie crust and sprinkled toasted coconut on top of the baked Meriange.


With the Peanut Butter Pie this time I kept out the chips and nuts out of the peanut butter mixture. I made chocolate whipped cream and put that on top of the PB mix and then sprinkled the nuts and chips on top of that. I also kept it in the freezer and thawed for just a short while serving it as a kind of ice cream type treat. I got even better reviews and was told this was just as good as the one we ususally purchase from the restaurant for $20+ dollars.

No comments: