Monday, June 30, 2008

Apple Cheddar Scones

Well I am finally back in the swing of things. I had a great time in California visiting family for just over two weeks. I missed some really great recipes.....I had contemplated bringing my cookbook with me, but considering I didn't even have time to crack open my laptop to do scrapbooking I am glad I didn't. We were so busy zooming from one place to the next. To read all about my adventures go here.

A big thanks to Karina from The Floured Apron for choosing Apple Cheddar Scones.

I was a little leery of making Apple Cheddar scones, not that I dislike the combination. One of my favorite snacks growing up was apples and cheese slices. I just didn't know if the combo would work for me as a bread. Plus I had read in the comment section how bland these scones were. So I doubled the batch so I could play around a little with the flavors. I realized that I didn't have buttermilk or applejuice. I used milk w/lemon and cranberry juice to substitute. I divided it into three separate bowls for three different combos. I am not sure if I did something wrong, but my batter was quite dry. I ended up adding a drizzle of milk to the second two bowls.

I did what the recipe called for using the apples and the cheese, these were a little bland and dry for me although I imagine they would be great with butter and honey or crumbled into chili, or used as a side......


Then I did apples and cinamon with a sprinkle of sugar on top, I ended up taking these babies to work. They had a lot more flavor, but were still a little dry.....



The best combo was cheddar and garlic, I had planned on using fresh garlic, but I was in such a hurry to get these done so I could go to bed that I ended up using garlic powder. I also added a dash of oregeno/italian seasoning mix. These were very comparable to the bisquits you get at Red Lobster. I added a healthy dash of milk to these so that they would not be as dry. I loved them.....of course I commented to my hubs that they could use more garlic, but I am a definate garlic lover, I am sure that when he tries them later that they will be just fine.

16 comments:

Engineer Baker said...

Three types, what dedication! I'm glad you hit on a variation you liked.

ostwestwind said...

Glad you liked it your way, I found the flavours subtle, I like that.

Ulrike from K├╝chenlatein

Susie Homemaker said...

3 types? You go! Great job!

Christine said...

Welcome back from vacation! 3 types of scones, good job!

Colleen said...

3 types of scones...you're my hero!

The Queen of Quite a Lot said...

The Cheddar Garlic and Cinnamon Apple sound heavenly. I will make the Cheddar Garlic with either pasta and I can see it being great with soups and stews in the winter. Yum!

Heather B said...

yum! Can I have one of each please? lol! Great job!

Dolores said...

Three flavor combinations to choose from... *that's* ambition in the kitchen. Great job!

Nickki said...

All these flavours sound so good! The cinnamon/apple in particular is calling to me...:D

Jacque said...

ooooh, the cheddar and garlic sound sinful! Nice job. Sorry they were dry :(

Jaime said...

welcome back! yum, love all the flavor combos! if you like the red lobster biscuits you should try the cheater (bisquick) garlic cheddar version in my blog! :)

LyB said...

Your scones look delicious! Cheddar and garlic, I've got to try that, I'm a garlic lover too. :)

Andrea said...

Cheddar and garlic? YUM! Can't wait to try your variation. I bet they were delicious :)

Barbara said...

Yum, three kinds of scones, way to go!

I often find I have to adjust the liquid in biscuit & scone recipes. A moist dough gives the best results for my tastes.

Jules Someone said...

Nice experimenting! Bacon. Next time add bacon.

Prudy said...

Cheddar and garlic sound heavenly!