Tuesday, June 3, 2008

TWD: French Chocolate Brownies


This Week's Choice came from Di from Di's Kitchen Notebook. I have to admit that although I love rasiens I just couldn't put them into these brownies. I have heard people compare them to raisenette's which I adore, but I just couldn't. These brownies were easy to make and turned out great. I topped mine with fresh chocolate whipped cream and mini m&m. Although no one else has tried them I think that this will be my go to recipe, so much better than what comes out of a box.


French Chocolate Brownies
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup raisins (dark or golden) I just couldn't bear to add rasiens so I skipped this and the rum.
1 1/2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 tablespoons dark rum
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces, at room temperature
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar

Getting ready: Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil, butter the foil and place the pan on a baking sheet. Whisk the flour, salt and cinnamon together. Put the raisins in a small saucepan with the water, bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until the water almost evaporates. Add the rum and let it warm for about 30 seconds, then turn off the heat, stand back and ignite the rum with a long match. Allow the flames to die down, and set the raisins aside. Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir occasionally until the chocolate melts. Remove the bowl from the saucepan and add the butter, stirring until it melts. It’s important that the chocolate and butter not get very hot. However, if the butter is not melting, you can put the bowl back over the still-hot water for a minute. If you’ve got a couple of little bits of unmelted butter, leave them—it’s better to have a few bits than to overheat the whole.

Working with a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until thick and pale, about 2 minutes. Reduce the mixer speed and pour in the chocolate-butter mixture, mixing only until it is incorporated—you’ll have a thick, creamy batter. Add the dry ingredients and mix at low speed for about 30 seconds—the dry ingredients won’t be completely incorporated. Then finish folding in the dry ingredients by hand with a rubber spatula. Fold in the raisins, along with any liquid remaining in the pan. Scrape the batter into the pan.Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the top is dry and crackled and a thin knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool to warm or room temperature.Carefully lift the brownies out of the pan, using the foil edges as handles, and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into 16 squares, each roughly 2 inches on a side, taking care not to cut through the foil.

Serving: The brownies are good just warm or at room temperature; they’re even fine cold. I like these with a little something on top or alongside—good accompaniments are whipped crème fraiche or whipped cream, ice cream or chocolate sauce or, dare I suggest, all three!Storing: Wrapped well, these can be kept a room temperature for up to 3 days, or frozen for up to 2 months.

18 comments:

rainbowbrown said...

Glad to hear that you liked them. I thought they were great too and I didn't have any tasters either.
:)

Mevrouw Cupcake said...

Box brownies definitely can't top these babies!

Jacque said...

That's how my husband likes to eat brownies! they look delish.

ostwestwind said...

I have to admit I have no comparison to box brownies :-), yours look delicious. The m&m topping give such a nice colour!

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

CB said...

Mmmm... ice cream and M&Ms. YUM!
Clara @ I♥food4thought

Marie said...

I loved these as well. I love your additions of the ice cream and the pretty M&M's! Well done!

Liliana said...

Nice touch with the M&M's! I tried the box brownies many years ago - no comparison, these brownies are much better!

Shari said...

Kids would love those m&ms on top! Yum.
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Mara said...

aww they look so cute...and definitely better than box mix..i will not return (well maybe if i'm strapped for time!)..!

Mrs. Mordecai said...

Yum!

Teanna said...

Mmmm I love the M&Ms! Now THAT is an add in that I can love!

Amy said...

Your brownie is so cute with the m&m's on top. I thought this recipe was great also.

Allison said...

Oooh, chocolate whipped cream and M&Ms? Now I'm wishing I hadn't brought my whole batch to a friend's house. I'd love to try that combo.

CRS said...

That looks DELICIOUS.

SiHaN said...

so whimsical! i love that. i had my brownies on the rocks. reason being: i ate all the ice-cream at home already. *sobz*

Yours look wonderful. especially with the ice-cream on top. *wink*.

Prudy said...

I didn't put in the raisins either, and I also like them. I like them in savory things much better than sweet. I do love the M and Ms on your brownie. My children would go nuts!

Hygeian Stew said...

Those brownies look yummy! Box brownies can't hold a handle to these!

Hummie said...

Oh, now that looks too yummy!