Wednesday, August 13, 2008

TWD: Bluberry Sour Cream Ice Cream

Things have just been crazy around here. I have been absent from the TWD for a few weeks because of A/C issues, summer vacation, school starting and the other ten million crazy things going on in my life. I attempted to make this ice cream yesterday, but I was worried about wheather or not the heavy cream in my fridge was still good or not. It kind of looked curdled at the top...so I had to wait until this morning so I could get some from the store and guess what....there was the same curdled milk look at the top of that container also. So my question for all those experienced people out there...how long does heavy cream last, when can you tell it is bad??

Dolores' of Cronicles in Culinary Curiosity.Wow! I have to say that I am extremely impressed by this recipe. I doubled it and the only thing I did different was I substituted some yogurt in for some sour cream. I was actually quite worried about how it would taste with the sour cream only. I used a container of blueberry and mixed berry yogurt then added the difference in sour cream. It is currently in the freezer. I made it up last night, churned when I got up and was getting ready for work, now it is waiting for the 3:00 break time here at work. I tasted it this morning at the soft serve consistancy and I thought it was excellent. I am wondering what other fruits it would work for??

16 comments:

CB said...

It works for all sorts of fruits. I used strawberries, but I've seen other TWDers use raspberries and other berries that I am not that familiar with. Definitely a fun recipe that you can adapt to your tastes. Thats why I love it!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Anne said...

I bet strawberry and raspberry would be great. I'm glad you liked it so far!

My cream usually goes bad pretty fast and I usually just sniff it first. Mine doesn't usually make it a whole week for whatever reason...

n.o.e said...

Our cream seems to last forever. I just give it the ole' taste test.

Heidi of Suburban Food made two kinds: blueberry and strawberry and said the sour cream tasted completely different with the fruits - here's her link:
http://www.mcgall.net/blog/

Nancy
The Dogs Eat the Crumbs

steph- whisk/spoon said...

i bet it was delicious as a frozen yogurt! i'm sure any berry would work wonderfully, cherries too. with questionable cream, i smell it first. you will know if it smells bad. if it smells fine, then i taste a tiny bit as the next test. if it smells bad, i just get rid of it.

The DeL Sisters said...

Some people used strawberry, I also saw a few blackberry and raspberry.

Dolores said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I agree with the others, any of the berry flavors would work. I'm also wondering about grape?

Natashya said...

Hmmm, maybe peach?
Good idea to make a frozen yogurt. I bet it was great even as a soft serve.

lifeissweet said...

I saw another blog use lemons, I am definitely trying that next time . . .yum!

Prudy said...

I'm anxious to experiment with different flavors too, but I'll always taste for sugar before I freeze. Besides tasting is part of the fun. I smell my cream just about every time, just to be sure.

Liliana said...

I used blueberries, but next time I will try it with strawberries and use less sour cream.

I usually smell the cream - if it doesn't smell fresh I don't use it.

Kayte said...

I am thinking your sour cream would have worked for the sour cream. Might want to check, but I know when my cream is a little off, I just use it for mashed potatoes and it is really good and tastes just like sour cream. Check first, I am not an expert, just saw Granny do that and it always went well. Don't know how it would have worked with the ice cream with consistency issues, etc.
www.grandmaskitchentable.typepad.com

Jaime said...

i saw others use strawberries. i think raspberries would be nice too. i usually judge my cream by the smell. if it smells off in any way, i throw it out.

Leo and Debbie Burgin said...

Sour cream usually will last forever, or it seems like it. We over-ordered for a church activity & I went home with 6 pints of sour cream. It lasted for the next 6+ weeks. As long as it is refrigerated good, it will last. Sour cream naturally separates so just give it a stir. If it gets lumpy, then dump it.
Love MOM

Kait said...

I think it's definitely worth looking into trying other fruits with this recipe, too. It makes the ice cream kind of healthy, right?

Sorry about your heavy cream woes!

Bumblebutton said...

Yogurt--such a good idea! Hope things have calmed down for you!

Barbara said...

Glad you liked it!

You might have just gotten some butter forming in your cream. Ours does that quite often -- probably because it has to travel quite a distance over only so-so roads from store to house! As far as going sour or bad--as everyone has said, "the nose knows."